Monday, June 27, 2011

Terror from within

I've heard a lot of talk about this Summerworks theatre losing their funding. Stories seem to imply that the Harper government pulled funding because of a play, Homegrown, that glorified terrorism. The lapdog in me wants to lay down and roll over, say it's just a coincidence. But the bulldog on my shoulder says bite.

Let's assume the play does glorify terrorism--which I doubt, because artists hate terror as much as politicians. Isn't it important to see terror from the other side? Terrorists are humans (or dogs), too. I think it's important to undertand what drives people to believe that killing and causing fear are positive forces in this world. Apart from that, it is not a government's place to say to adults, "This is too dark. You should not see this because it will corrupt you."

Maybe it will corrupt. Maybe I can't have back that innocence I once had. But that's my decision. I know I'm an animal, but I choose to be civil.

But then again, I'm just a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment